On The Bench With Shay

Dress: Tracee Ellis Ross JCPenney Holiday collection, Earrings: Forever 21 Watch: Swatch Skins Collection
On The Bench: This is a collection of stories that will be dedicated to weekly topics related to health, beauty, style, art, and empowerment.

When it comes to living our best life the phrase evokes so many emotions, such an open statement that covers a wide array of definitions. A definition for some that possibly manifests itself from the pages of novels. Revealed, by the character that found themselves while overcoming an intense set of circumstances. Maybe it’s not that deep. Is living your best life just being carefree and happy? Living your best life seems like it is a subset of health and wellness. 

Jill Scott sang, “living my life like it’s golden,” so proudly with a deep emphasis on it's golden as if the sun shines on her at all moments. The definitions, subsections, and asterisk marked provisions of what it means to live your best life may vary.  However, the sentiment is universal.  Living your best life means joy. Smile.

One cool fall evening in October 2016 I found myself standing in front of a mansion in a gown on Crescent Place in Washington D.C.  I racked my brain trying to remember exactly what led up to this exact moment. I was twenty-one attending The Annual Meridian Ball, something I never imagined.  A mix of nervousness and excitement filled me as I stepped out onto the red carpet.  Alone but self-assured. I walked through this building many times as an intern, but today the building looked larger than life.  A mix of excitement and nervousness filled me.  I pushed my glasses up, gathered the excess fabric of my dress and walked up the steps and through the doors proudly.

I recognized a few people immediately from seeing them daily at work. After twenty minutes of exchanging compliments and talking about the beauty of the evening, I was by myself again exploring and taking everything in and averting stares of people wondering who I was. Diplomats, Journalists, and other leaders were some of the guests in attendance and it was anticipated that First Lady Michelle Obama might make an appearance. Everyone folded into the unfamiliar sea of people dressed in their black tie attire.

 A jazz band covered Stevie Wonder and other familiar tunes. I was amazed at the grandiose nature of it all. There are certain moments that catapult you into remembering the exact person you aspire to be. Moments like these, I smile.

As I followed the rhythm of the music it led me to a garden/patio lounge where the beat and lyrics of  “Crazy in Love” could be heard.  Everyone was singing along to BeyoncĂ© and I smiled. I started dancing by myself and it was the best feeling. With each step and shake of my head and the wave of my arms, I grabbed freedom. That evening I met so many people, I laughed, and tried international desserts.

Living your best life can encompass many things. Such as, exercising, eating healthy, practicing spirituality, traveling, laughing, dancing and spending time with the people you love.

For me living my best life is showing up, and being myself unapologetically with kindness in my heart and an open mind.

Comments

Popular Posts