On The Bench With Shay

Shirt: H&M, Jeans: Hollister, Boots: Guess, Earrings: J.Crew, Watch: Swatch
On The Bench with Shay: Anticipating the holidays

November 2, only two days after Halloween a poster emerged in the center kiosk of the Willowbrook Mall. This poster detailed Santa Claus’ schedule and visits to the mall for holiday picture taking. Although I know this calendar was not regulated to this particular shopping center.  I knew other malls would be following suit.
It appears that this year the holidays have been anticipated even more than in previous years. I can at least say for me and my family, we began watching holiday movies November 1, to resurface the magical feelings the holidays bring. When assumingly people act kinder and there is an unencumbered sense of joy.
When I was a young girl I watched “Elmo Saves Christmas,” approximately ten times in one sitting. The videotape slid out of the VHS and I eagerly pressed my fingers to push it back inside to replay. I unapologetically indulged in the idea of Christmas being every day. During the holiday season, it is undeniable that the year is coming to an end. Christmas trees, white lights, wrapping paper, desserts, and joyful jingles to be a climactic end of what most might consider a hectic and long year.
I anticipate the holiday season and Christmas as much as I anticipate the warmth of summer.  The scent of pine and gingerbread fill my nose not by the actual presence of these things but by the deep nostalgia that greets me as the season approaches and welcomes itself back in my life each year.
I need this season. With everything that has taken place this year from the problematic nature of the government, constant harassment of black people for simply existing, to the devastating realities of climate change the holiday season provides a temporary escape into a story like atmosphere absent of the perils of the world.
If I had to rate the emotional state of the world specifically the U.S. I would give us 3 out of 10. That’s being generous. So when I hear Mariah Carey’s voice unfold into the melodic sound “all I want for Christmas,” I can’t help but find myself feeling a small sense of joy even if it is fleeting.
If we approached each day of the New Year with the same amount of kindness, joy, and passion that encompasses the childlike enthusiasm of the holiday season maybe we’ll all be better off.


Comments

Popular Posts